Daphni Monastery has promoted Chaidari immensely. For example, Chaidari used to
be known as the Daphni municipality. Since 1954 the building of the Tourist Kiosk by government agencies has boosted tourist visits. A major venue until 1991 was the annual Wine Festival. In 1996 the area was passed under municipal adnministration, which organizes important cultural events, and attends the architectural
and aesthetic enhancement of the area.
Due to the earthquake of 7 September 1999 the monastery closed for restoration. It is scheduled to re-
open in April 2007. It is noted that Daphni belongs to the top seven UNESCO monuments. The restored Tourist
Kiosk functions as a coffee shop and restaurant today. The parks in between Athenon Avenue and the Sacred Way, created in 1983-1984 (with K. Nteniakos in office), have contributed to the preservation of the area. If the
national road became underground, the monument would be further protected.
The modern settlement of Daphni lies opposite the monastery, like the Daphni park, an area of natural walking paths and sitting areas. Just before the monastery, the Municipality has built the «Gate», a reception, recreation and information area for visitors. A statue of resistance fighter N. Ploumpides by Klouvatos stands nearby. Daphni is between two mountains, Aigaleo and Poikilo, which are natural reserves. The Chaidari Municipality has guarded their character and reacted dynamically even against official plans, e.g. a decision to install radio and TV antennas, or the use of explosives during railway construction works.Traditional celebrating of Clean Monday at the Tourist Kiosk