Greek English
Greek English


The Sacred Way today

The Sacred Way is the oldest road of our country, and the only national road connecting Athens to Northern Greece, Epirus and the Peloponnese for 2500 years, until the cosntruction of the national road to
Lamia.
Inevitably, the Chaidari city centre developed around the Sacred Way, mainly at the crossroads with Phokaias
Street, which concentrated all bus services and shops and thus weaved a sense of social integration for the people of Chaidari, despite daily difficulties.
The Dromokaiteion Psychiatry was founded by G. Dromokaitis from Pyrgi of Chios in 1887 upon the Sacred Way. It attracted many Chiots, who created their own neighbourhood.
After the Asia Minor destruction, about 50 refugee families from Phokaia settled almost upon the Sacred Way. They built a church to house the icon of the Dormition of the Virgin, which they had saved. This is the metropolitan church of the city today.
Following the Sacred Way we come across the Botanical Garden of the University of Athens. Then, the hill of Prophitis Ilias accommodated the Pythionike monument and is a visitor attraction today. In the corner of Perraivou Street and the Sacred Way is the old Town Hall, which is a listed building. The ancient way may be seen in the excavation of Kolokotroni Street.
Since 1956, the construction of the Kavalas Avenue shifted the traffic stress to Palataki area, where the new City Hall lies. The Chaidari Municipality has worked on the aesthetic enhancement of the Sacred Way since 1984 and particularly since 2001, during the office of K. Nteniakos.
The Aphaia Sanctuary, a major stop of the Classical Eleusinian procession, has been protected since 2003-2005, while next to it, there are two new modern settlements with all necessary infrastructure. The Sacred Way then meets the Skaramangas coast, the only swimming option for west Athens. The shipyards have been a major blow to the area since the 1950s. The Chaidari Municipality has asked for the return of the area that is not used any more in order to convert it to a place of recreation. This request is annually reminded by the local festival in the end of June.

The Sacred Way is the oldest road of our country, and the only national road connecting Athens to Northern Greece, Epirus and the Peloponnese for 2500 years, until the cosntruction of the national road to
Lamia.
Inevitably, the Chaidari city centre developed around the Sacred Way, mainly at the crossroads with Phokaias
Street, which concentrated all bus services and shops and thus weaved a sense of social integration for the people of Chaidari, despite daily difficulties.
The Dromokaiteion Psychiatry was founded by G. Dromokaitis from Pyrgi of Chios in 1887 upon the Sacred Way. It attracted many Chiots, who created their own neighbourhood.
After the Asia Minor destruction, about 50 refugee families from Phokaia settled almost upon the Sacred Way. They built a church to house the icon of the Dormition of the Virgin, which they had saved. This is the metropolitan church of the city today.
Following the Sacred Way we come across the Botanical Garden of the University of Athens. Then, the hill of Prophitis Ilias accommodated the Pythionike monument and is a visitor attraction today. In the corner of Perraivou Street and the Sacred Way is the old Town Hall, which is a listed building. The ancient way may be seen in the excavation of Kolokotroni Street.
Since 1956, the construction of the Kavalas Avenue shifted the traffic stress to Palataki area, where the new City Hall lies. The Chaidari Municipality has worked on the aesthetic enhancement of the Sacred Way since 1984 and particularly since 2001, during the office of K. Nteniakos.
The Aphaia Sanctuary, a major stop of the Classical Eleusinian procession, has been protected since 2003-2005, while next to it, there are two new modern settlements with all necessary infrastructure. The Sacred Way then meets the Skaramangas coast, the only swimming option for west Athens. The shipyards have been a major blow to the area since the 1950s. The Chaidari Municipality has asked for the return of the area that is not used any more in order to convert it to a place of recreation. This request is annually reminded by the local festival in the end of June.